WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH EUPHORIA (FILM STUDENT REVIEW)

Most of you guys have probably either seen an ad for Euphoria on your Instagram or any of your socials, or a friend might have told you about it. Regardless, if you haven't watched it yet because you're hearing mixed reviews or you want to know more about the show, this post will be helpful to read! I'm a film major and I, just like a lot of other people, was quite skeptical about the show at first, but I've grown to love it for so many reasons that I want to list to you guys today. So without further ado, let's get into the post! 

Image result for euphoria

1) IMPORTANT TOPICS

Euphoria DEFINITELY talks about some sensitive topics, between drug addiction, characters questioning their sexuality, being a transgender in 2019, etc. For anybody who doesn't think that they would be able to handle these types of topics being addressed, that's totally okay and understandable! It's definitely not for everybody, but I also think it's important to talk about these things and not necessarily sugar coat anything in the TV world. 

These things aren't always talked about in the film industry because of the fear that bringing light to these things can ruin the reputation of the show or movie being made. However, I appreciate what Euphoria is doing. It shows what goes on in the actual world for so many people going through different struggles, and I think a lot of viewers also appreciate how they can relate to the characters and their stories on a more personal and deep level that no other TV show or movie can bring. 

Image result for euphoria

2) CAMERA SHOTS

I swear to god, Euphoria's camera shots are every filmmaker's wet dream! In my opinion, this show might have the best camera shots for a TV show. The Director of Photography does such a great job conveying and showing emotions through visuals. The different lightings, different angles, just the overall creativity is something I really appreciate. 

Image result for euphoria

I won't say any specific names or locations to ruin the show, but there's a scene where the main character, who struggles with drug addiction throughout the show, is walking on walls when she's high. It shows her perspective and what she see's, in contrast to showing any person near her's perspective, which I thought was super clever. There's also a scene where two characters stare into each other's eyes and laugh while crying glitter tears. The fact that Euphoria can pull off all of these shots easily (of course, with the help of the amazing actors and actresses) and make them so memorable is quite rare. Applause to the cast and crew! 

3) REALISTIC CHARACTERS

Image result for euphoria

The characters in this show don't hide their issues. From Jewels being transgender, Rue struggling with drug addiction, and Kat being mistreated for being plus-size, every person in the show has their ups and their downs. They have traits that are likable and dislikeable, just like any real person, which makes me love the show so much. 

4) ACTORS 

Image result for euphoria

Every good show has talented actors. It's no secret that Zendaya is one of the most popular female actresses in Hollywood right now. From Euphoria to Spiderman Homecoming, she's always able to bring characters to life on the big screen. However, Euphoria also brings in new actors and actresses to the cast, all of whom are extremely talented. 

5) STORYLINE 

Image result for euphoria

One of my pet peeves as a filmmaker and human is predictable storylines. When I think something is about to happen and I'm right, I don't like it. For me, I like to be surprised. I like twists and turns. This show does a great job playing with foreshadowing and going on different routes with the storyline that aren't predictable, which I love.

To sum up, for all of you guys, Euphoria is definitely not a show for everybody. But I highly recommend it and I hope you guys found this helpful when it comes to deciding whether you want to begin watching this show. PS. Everybody I know has liked it so far!

XOXO,

Olivia

Comments

Popular Posts